Ropa Vieja TacosPrint Recipe
- 3 lbs roast (I prefer chuck roast or mock tenderloin)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, or 4-5 mini bell peppers
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 whole bulb garlic, roughly cut in half (about 8 cloves)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Small handful of cilantro, chopped
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven on medium high. Place roast in hot dutch oven; sear on all sides.
Add vegetables and remaining ingredients, except vinegar and cilantro.
Place Dutch oven in oven and cook for about 3-4 hours until meat is fork-tender. Remove garlic skin and bay leaves.
Shred meat, add vinegar, and sprinkle with cilantro before serving with shredded cheese and toasted corn tortillas.
Serve with fresh Pico de Gallo.